As an open source project, Phalcon relies on the contributions of developers throughout the globe, as well as the investment of personal time from the core team. Due to this, it is often that other factors (regular job, other obligations etc.) restrict the amount of time available to devote to the project.
For the project to move forward, the core team and some contributors, have recently set some goals and milestones. We would like to share those with you, so that you are always informed as to where we are and where we are heading.
2016 has been quite the milestone year for Phalcon. We were working very hard to release version 3.x. which not only offered Long Term Support (LTS) but had wide variety of enhancements and features. A small refresher on the changelog of the release.
Our Github page shows 571 closed issues for the year (a small number of those were just questions or duplicates). Additionally we had 912 commits in the main repository. This is a drop from previous years, where we have been averaging more than 1,000 commits, but still close enough
Our Forum has enjoyed 2,484 new posts which generated 7,891 replies in term of discussion, problem solving or general chat.
Finally our Slack channel has seen a flood of new members, engaging in the community, solving problems and forming friendships.
2017 Funding Campaign - Patreon
We are excited to announce that we have launched a new campaign with Patreon! Patreon is a platform where anyone can support their favorite projects. With each level of support come some modest rewards, whether you are an individual or a company.
The levels of support we have are:
- Bronze Backer ($5 or more) - Your name will be put in backers.md in the Phalcon repository.
- Silver Backer ($10 or more) - Your name will be put in backers.md in the Phalcon repository and we will send you 5 stickers.
- Gold Backer ($50 or more) - Your name will be put at the top of backers.md in the Phalcon repository. We will also send you 10 stickers.
- Bronze Sponsor ($100 or more) - Your name or small company logo will be put on a dedicated sponsors page in phalconphp.com and we will send you 10 stickers.
- Silver Sponsor - ($250 or more) - Your name or medium company logo will be put on a dedicated sponsors page in phalconphp.com and the top of the project repo’s README and we will send you 10 stickers.
- Gold Sponsor - ($500 or more) - Your name or medium company logo will be put at the top of a dedicated sponsors page in phalconphp.com and the top of the project repo’s README and we will send you 10 stickers.
The level of financial support that we receive, will allow our lead developer to devote more time on the project, addressing bugs both in Zephir and Phalcon much faster in addition to providing more functionality.
We hope that you will consider becoming a patron of Phalcon!
Goals for Q1
Regarding our goals for Q1, we tried to be modest and not add a lot of things to do, since we all have a limited amount of time for now. Bare in mind that this is the minimum amount we have agreed to. Of course if time allows and we can address other issues/bugs, we will definitely do so.
- Zephir bugs - Segfaults (2017-Q1)
- Phalcon bugs (12055, 12289)
- Refactor/rework our sites (www, forum, builtwith, blog) to allow for patreons to be recognized
- Convert github:phalcon to an organization
- Migrate all the relevant github:phalcon repositories to the new organization
- Much more aggressive social media strategy to keep our community informed and reach out to new users
- Refactor/rework the documentation
- New welcome section
- New and updated installation guide
- Real life examples with (if possible)guides and videos accompanying them
- Leverage the input from the community to enhance documentation with real life examples
We cannot thank our wonderful community enough. You guys have been instrumental in helping us push for a better framework, a faster framework, a much safer framework. Thank you!!
We will be updating our blog with more posts from now on, even from guests, showcasing their success stories, and keeping you all informed of our progress.
Thank you once more for 2016 and on to greater things for 2017!
<3 Phalcon Team